I was recently asked if taking prescription medications to treat depression (or anxiety) would interfere with psychic work or mediumship. There are many (often divergent) opinions about this topic. Here is what my guides have asked me to convey to you.
They want me to begin by explaining two things:
- Being very depressed (or anxious) can be detrimental to psychic work or mediumship. When someone is very depressed (or anxious), this is a medical condition that is caused by a biochemical imbalance in the brain. When a person is depressed, it is as if they are looking at the world through a pair of dark glasses. The world around you is often experienced as hopeless, you feel powerless, and you are often frightened. These emotional states can “bleed through” and impact your faith in your ability to connect with Spirit. And the interpretation of any messages that you receive from the non-physical plane can be “colored” by those dark glasses.
- Being on the wrong antidepressant (or antianxiety) medication can also interfere with receiving accurate messages from Spirit. This can happen because (a) the medication is not doing enough, (b) the side effects from the medication are distracting, and/or (c) the side effects of the medication are causing you to become very depressed or anxious (see #1 above).
Therefore, the message my guides want me to give to you on this topic is that we need to understand that depression (or anxiety) can actually interfere with doing psychic and mediumship work. If the depression (or anxiety) is short-lived and mild, then medication may not be needed. However, if the depression (or anxiety) is moderate and/or long-term, then my professional opinion is that medication can and should be considered . . . sometimes for a short period of time . . . sometimes longer.
Taking the correct medication can facilitate rather than interfere with the development of psychic and mediumship skills. It can also help you accurately interpret the messages being transmitted from the other side. I personally know many wonderful psychics (and healers) who are on psychotropic medications such as antidepressants, antianxiety medication, and many other classes of medications for a wide range of psychiatric conditions.
Sadly, there are those in the metaphysical field who believe that taking psychotropic medications is a bad thing. Overall, I concur with David Hawkins, M.D., who believes that everything, including emotional issues, should be addressed at the physical, mental, and spiritual levels.
- Physical: There might be (and often are) physiological (i.e., biochemical) causes to emotional disorders. We are so blessed to live at a time when there are medications that can help compensate for these physical conditions. I believe that God brought us medications like antibiotics, antidepressants, etc., so we could live happier lives! God wants us to be happy!!! When these conditions are treated with the correct medications, biochemical imbalances are corrected and the quality of life improves (often substantially).
- Mental: Dr. Hawkins points out, it’s also important to address mental issues involved in emotional disorders. Research repeatedly shows that the best outcome for the treatment of depression (and anxiety) is a combination of medication AND counseling. When you are feeling depressed (or anxious), you will often want to isolate yourself. But please reach out for help from competent mental health professionals. The medication can be invaluable, but these mental health professionals can help you sort out the issues that have lead up to or are contributing to your depression (and anxiety).
- Spiritual: Please be sure to surround yourself with loving, compassionate, and like-minded others who can support you as you heal. And always remember to seek out alternative treatments that can supplement Western medical approaches (e.g., energetic healing modalities such as Reiki, Emotional Freedom Techniques or tapping).
Finally, if you need help treating depressive, anxiety, or other mental health symptoms:
- Please do not hesitate to reach out for help. It is there! I cannot begin to describe all the cases in which I have personally observed profound improvement in people’s lives once the correct medication or “cocktail” (i.e., combination of medications) is provided. If you need help and you don’t feel you are being heard by medical or mental health personnel, please keep searching until your voice is heard.
- Please trust that there is nothing wrong with taking medication that is appropriate to your body’s needs. However, not taking what your body needs or taking something that isn’t appropriate for you can be detrimental to metaphysical work.
In sum, please be sure to follow your inner guidance regarding the approach to treatment that is right for you. However, if the approach that you have tried thus far hasn’t been working, it may be time to try something different. Consult with others who may have a more objective opinion and can provide you with helpful ideas and insights. And remember to ask your guides to bring you the help and guidance that you need . . . both helpers on the Earth plane and helpers from the other side of the veil. Ask. And then sit back and watch as often amazing synchronicities and miraculous solutions begin to appear in your life!
See related blog posts: (1) Can I be psychic or a healer if I consume caffeine or if I use cigarettes, alcohol, or other drugs? and (2) Do you need to eat a certain diet to be a psychic, medium, or healer (e.g., vegetarian, vegan)?