This month’s New Moon on Thursday, December 13, finds both the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 22° of Sagittarius. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 22° of Sagittarius in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most affected by this New Moon’s presence.
This New Moon in Sagittarius is very powerful in and of itself, but it is also happening around the same time period that includes the dates December 12, 2012 and December 21, 2012. These two dates are interchangeably used as the mark of a momentous turning point for humanity . . . the end of a 26,000 year cycle known by many names, such as the Great Awakening, the Ascension, the Mayan End of Times, the Hopi Fifth World, Christogenesis, Timewave Zero, and many others.
Because there is so much to cover in this Moon Update, I will have to be very brief when discussing all of these events in order not to confuse or bore my readers. My apologies to those who know that there is much more to the story than what is covered here, but I hope I can do all of these events justice.
New Moon in Sagittarius
Let’s begin by talking about the New Moon in Sagittarius on Thursday, December 13. All New Moons signify a time for a new emotional start and opportunities to set new intentions. The New Moon in Sagittarius is usually a delightful energy! The energy now is enthusiastic, optimistic, future-oriented, outgoing, physically-oriented, lighthearted, and playful. This is often a time when we begin to have new views of ourselves and our place in our families, our society, and the universe. Even cynics tend to be more hopeful during this wonderful New Moon’s energy.
Sagittarians are known for being lucky. It isn’t that they are lucky exactly; it’s that their natural exuberance and enthusiasm causes them to often by-pass the mental analysis of events and “just go for it.” They do this by letting the signals from the Universe flow through them in the moment without questioning it. Consequently, they are better than most of us at tapping into Divine energy. And guess what? At the time of this New Moon, we all have the opportunity available to us!
And if that isn’t powerful enough, this New Moon is also a SuperMoon. This means that the Moon is at its closest position relative to the Earth and in a direct line with the Sun and Earth. This increases the power and opportunities presented by this New Moon in Sagittarius by increasing the electromagnetic and gravitational pulls on the Earth and on our psyches. We are being asked to look beyond the apparent limits of the present and visualize a more fulfilling future. We are all being encouraged to stretch the limits of belief and expand the possibilities for learning, loving, and making a living. It is a time to aim high in all areas of your life. Change is possible now, but only if you take advantage of this energy!
Other Astrological Events
Just a few days before the New Moon (Monday, December 10), Mercury moves into Sagittarius, which is an excellent location to support all of our New Moon in Sag endeavors. This placement of Mercury means that our minds will be more open than usual to all possibilities. Although Mercury in Sag is often associated with overlooking details, it is a time when we’ll be thinking positively and can use words to inspire both ourselves and others. However, it is prudent now to think before speaking, especially if the message you have to give is either important to you and/or is being given to someone who tends to be emotionally sensitive.
Just a few hours after the New Moon on Thursday, December 13, Uranus ends its 5-month retrograde phase and begins moving direct again. Given Uranus is a slow-moving planet, it may take a few days or even weeks before we begin to feel this shift in energy. But we will likely feel it! Given this happens so close in time to the “galactic alignment” (see next section), Uranus’s direct motion means that we are, as individuals and as a species, being urged to take a giant step forward on our evolutionary path. After months of thinking about change (i.e., while Uranus was moving in retrograde), now we are ready to actually make some changes in our lives. Moments of intellectual genius and original thinking are possible, and we may even experience a quantum leap in consciousness.
Also in the days following this New Moon, there is a very special configuration taking place. Saturn in Scorpio will be sextile (60°) Pluto in Capricorn. Whenever Saturn and Pluto come together in aspect, issues related to responsibility, leadership, and ambition will come into play. Sextiles mean that there is an easy flow of energy between the two planets, so this means their pairing is a positive event. However, the positive aspects of this configuration are greatly magnified because the two planets are in what is called “mutual reception”; i.e., Saturn is located in Scorpio and Pluto rules Scorpio, and Pluto is located in Capricorn and Saturn rules Capricorn. This adds incredible strength to the sextile. At this time, the patience and discipline of Saturn is harmoniously aligned with the depth and power of Pluto. When combined with the energy of the New Moon in Sagittarius, what does this mean? This can increase our capacity to handle change and provide us with the structured efficiency to deal with complex situations. It also supports enthusiastic ambition that could result in great achievements. This same aspect will occur again on March 8 and September 20, 2013; and each time it occurs, it will help all of us learn how to skillfully manage the transformation processes of our lives by reminding us to “take care of basics.”
Around the same time (and becoming exact on Friday, December 21), a special configuration is formed (a Yod) when Saturn and Pluto reach an exact sextile (60°) with each other and both planets are inconjunct or quincunx (150°) to the planet Jupiter. This elongated triangle is sometimes referred to as “The Finger of God” or “The Finger of Fate.” The planet being pointed to (in this case Jupiter) is called the “focal planet,” and the other two planets (in this case Saturn & Pluto) must “adjust to” the energy of the focal planet. Therefore, we may experience dilemmas in which we have to find ways to adjust to conflicting needs between those issues represented by Jupiter (e.g., spiritual beliefs and growth) and those represented by Saturn (e.g., old structures or order) and Pluto (e.g., restructuring or transformation of our beliefs). But the emphasis is on Jupiter, so we are, above all else, being called to expand our spiritual awareness through learning and exploration.
A final comment on this Yod. It is actually in a boomerang formation with Venus in opposition(180°) to the focal planet Jupiter. When a boomerang formation exists, the plant in opposition can help us successfully negotiate the challenge presented by the Yod. In this case, Venus would indicate that we will gain great benefit by focusing on the values of love, relationships, and peace for all humankind.
Finally, there are several other astrological events occurring over the next 7-10 days, including the following:
- On Saturday, December 15, Venus enters Sagittarius, which will sweeten the search for new experiences and make unfamiliar people, places, and concepts more appealing. We are more willing to take risks when Venus is in Sag, and we are more open to receiving love and pleasure from unusual sources.
- Friday, December 21, marks the Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere and the Summer Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere. We move into the sign of Capricorn at this time, which is often a time when ambition and security issues are on the front burner. A desire for order and control will be more present as we move further into Capricorn’s energy in the next few days and weeks.
- On Tuesday, December 25, Mars moves into Aquarius. During this time, we may use unconventional methods to explore new innovations in our efforts to reach our goals. This placement provides us with the support to break free from past patterns. Discovering new and different methods will continue until Mars moves out of Aquarius on February 1.
- Later that same day (Tuesday, December 25), the Sun forms a potentially explosive square (90°) to Uranus. As many of you know, the 25th of December is often a time when families gather together to celebrate the Christian holiday of Christmas. Be aware the this tense aspect, which will be felt for several days before and after December 25, may result in people wanting to rebel against authority figures in order to express their individuality. The best way to handle this is to permit the expression of this energy and react with patience and love.
December 12, 2012 & December 21, 2012
NOTE: In addition to the following information, I recommend you read (or re-read) my blog post DECEMBER 21, 2012 – Celebrate the next step in human evolution. It was written at the end of 2011, but I’ve just reposted it because this channeled message is still current. It will be particularly helpful for anyone still harboring any fearful thoughts about “the end of the world.”
Although both December 12 and December 21, 2012, have been suggested as the end the current phase of the Mayan calendar, many believe that each is significant in its own right:
- DECEMBER 12: Although sometimes believed to be the end of this phase in the Mayan calendar, Wednesday, December 12, 2012 (i.e., 12/12/12) is more often believed to represent an important stepping stone in the process leading up to December 21. In numerology, the number 12 often represents completion. Therefore, the date 12/12/12 is more often believed to be a time of completion or wrapping up issues that need to be addressed before the new energy comes in on December 21, 2012.Therefore, on December 12, it would be a good idea to do an inventory of your life to see what unfinished business might need to be dealt with so you can more fully embrace and benefit from the energy coming onto the Earth plane on December 21. Then in the days between December 12 and December 21, do your best to use the positive energy of the Sagittarius New Moon and beneficial astrological aspects (see above) to complete those tasks.
- DECEMBER 21: The date of December 21, 2012 (i.e., 12/21/12) is more often accepted as the date that corresponds with the end of the current cycle within the Mayan calendar . . . a 26,000 year cycle! Although some people initially believed that this meant the end of our physical existence on Earth, this year (interesting timing!) anthropologists discovered Mayan artifacts supporting the continuation of the Mayan calendar past December 21, 2012. Since those discovering, the “end of the world” prophecies have been converted into “end of our world as we know it” prophecies.Therefore, when we wake up on Saturday, December 22, the world will still be here. But that doesn’t mean that December 21 isn’t significant. Without going into mind-tilting scientific detail, astronomically speaking this date corresponds with what is called the “galactic alignment,” with the actual alignment occurring at 3:11 a.m. PST (11:11 a.m. GMT).What does the “galactic alignment” represent? Astrologically, it is a time when the Earth is aligned with the center of our Milky Way galaxy. Many believe that this alignment will result in a massive amount of Divine energy streaming toward us from deep within our sector of the Universe. On an individual basis, this energy is believed to support the ascension process, which is discussed in my blog post DECEMBER 21, 2012 – Celebrate the next step in human evolution. For humanity as a whole, this energy is believed to mark a global shift from living from the perspective of duality and separation to living from the perspective of unity and divinity.What can you do to take advantage of these energies streaming toward Earth? Begin by realizing that you chose to be here at this very rare and momentous time in humanity’s history, and accept that you are here for a divine purpose, even if that purpose isn’t clear yet. Then, recognize that you can receive the energy . . . these blessings from the Divine . . . but that, due to free will, you must be a conscious and deliberate participant. If you want to increase your ability to access this energy, show your willingness through activities such as prayer, meditation, ceremonies, and rituals. In some personal way, show you are willing to bring forth your full powers and gifts to assist in the ascension process of all human beings.
There are many theories right now about what will happen as we move past December 21 and into 2013 (and beyond). We are being asked to shift our focus from making a living to making a difference. There is an evolutionary imperative for equality and collaboration, inviting us to evolve from the love of power to the power of love.
Given all of the events happening around the time of this New Moon, it is a powerful opportunity to be clear about your intentions and vision(s) for the future. This New Moon in Sagittarius encourages you to set your goals higher than ever before and allow yourself to take advantage of the flow of Universal energy into your life. Given the sextile (60°) between Saturn and Pluto, you may achieve goals you never previously dreamed were possible, if you are willing to put forth the effort. And the new energy streaming to us on December 21 means that what is in our minds and hearts will be magnified. What we believe, we will see. What we desire, we will manifest. So now is a good time to evaluate whether we are coming from a place of fear or a place of love. Are we victims or creators? Are we living according to old programming or are with living our life purpose? As stated by Diana Stone, “2012 [and beyond] will depend on who you are. Nothing will happen to you. What happens is what you choose to happen.”
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
- New Moon at 22° of Sagittarius
- Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 12:42 a.m. PDT
- Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 3:42 a.m. EST
- Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 8:42 a.m. GMT
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources
- Anne’s interpretations