This Full Moon on January 8-9 finds the Sun in Capricorn in opposition (180°) to the Moon in Cancer. To further clarify how this Full Moon in Cancer will impact you on a personal level, locate 19° of Capricorn and 19° of Cancer in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with those two houses are going to be most affected by this Full Moon’s presence.
Over the past few months, it is very likely that you (and those around you) have been experiencing profound shifts. Relationships or jobs may have ended; new relationships or jobs may have started; you may have left one course of action that no longer felt “right” or began a new field of study that feels like an irresistible force that must be pursued. Like a child that outgrows its clothes and toys, we outgrow jobs, friends, places, and beliefs. What is no longer in resonance with who we are starts to slip away, and new energy comes in to fill the void. This Full Moon in Cancer helps us see where we need to release the old in order to establish the new, which will better reflect the deep inner changes we have made.
Cancer, the first of the water signs, represents the feminine and maternal principles. It emphasizes what is necessary to support and protect new forms until they are capable of being on their own. The Moon is the planetary ruler of Cancer, so it is at home here. The Cancer Moon will help us get in touch with our feelings, and we will also be more intuitively attuned to the feelings of others. During this time, we tend to seek out security, home, and familiarity. We desire to create a place and a space that is personal and feels safe. But in order to do so, we often need to clear issues from the past that hinder our growth and forward movement.
Capricorn, the third of the earth signs, represents maturity and the mastering of the physical plane. By the time we reach the 10th sign of the Zodiac, we have ideally developed a healthy conscience and concern for others. We are motivated by a desire to give back to the world by offering the skills we have developed and the wisdom we have gained. We understand and work within the limitations of physicality. We shape matter in service to spirit, and we steward others rather than dominate. We look inward for guidance. We walk our talk. There is no longer a split between who we are and what we do.
As with all Full Moons, success is found in finding a balance between the energies of these two signs. Both Cancer and Capricorn are security-seeking signs. The difference is that the Moon in Cancer is about our inner needs and feelings and the Sun in Capricorn is about external duties and obligations. The challenge is to recognize how and when it’s best to move from a subjective, personal approach to an objective, professional one. And often it requires moving adeptly between these two approaches. Both are important; neither can be ignored. We need to use the reason of Capricorn to responsibly address our unmet needs that are exposed by the Moon in Cancer. It may take time to address those needs, but the Full Moon provides us with insight into these needs and the maturity to see healthy solutions.
Mercury is the planet that represents thinking, learning, teaching, speaking, writing, and perception. On Saturday, January 7, Mercury moves into the sign of Capricorn, which means that it’s very likely you are thinking about all-things-Capricorn . . . responsibilities, duties, practically, discipline, and leadership. Mercury in Capricorn provides us with the ability to perceive, communicate about, and create tangible structures and then to make them real. It also provided increased patience to see things through.
In addition to changing signs, Mercury is very active during the Full Moon in Cancer. It forms a series of aspects to all 5 of the outer planets. All of these influences may stretch many of us to reformulate our ideas and concepts of reality.
- Mercury sextiles (60°) Saturn (Saturday, January 7): This supports a combination of deep thinking, compassion, and caring that could make for a memorable time and make for memorable solutions. Our plans will be rooted in practicality. It’s a good time to prepare for the future by getting organized and paying attention to details. This aspect support you in manifesting what you want!
- Mercury sextiles (60°) Neptune (Saturday, January 7): Intuition and imagination are important now. We will find that our words are filled with tenderness and compassion, although they may also be a little unclear at times. We can inspire others with our words.
- Mercury trines (120°) Jupiter (Sunday, January 8): This is a mind-expanding aspect! You are growth-oriented, optimistic, and can use words very effectively. You may even receive some interesting offers.
- Mercury squares (90°) Uranus (Sunday, January 8): This is a paradigm-shattering aspect that can radically change our perceptions. You may have flashes of insight, but just be aware that your conversations may be riddled with strange ideas and hard for others to understand. You may want to wait a little while before sharing your new ideas with others.
- Mercury conjoins (0°) Pluto (Friday, January 13): Our thoughts, ideas, and communication will tend to be more intense and focused than usual. We may uncover valuable information or gain an important understanding. You seek to reveal truths. Superficial conversations will likely have little appeal now.
The time period between Thursday, January 12 and Friday, January 13 is likely to be a very productive time. Without going into a lot of astrological detail, a series of aspects make this a time when there will be support for analyzing and organizing the myriad of details that may be cluttering your life. It is an excellent time for clearing out that clutter and investigative activities/ideas. The qualities of efficiency and productivity will prevail.
However, relationships of all kinds will also be taking center stage starting on Friday, January 13, when Venus moves into sensitive Pisces. For several weeks, we will feel more accepting of ourselves and of others. We will all feel increased faith and compassion that provide fulfillment in our romantic relationships and in our spiritual pursuits. Other aspects occurring now support seriousness in relationships, but be careful not to make someone or something appear more worthy than they actually are. Also, at this time we are being urged to remain open-minded and to balance optimism with pragmatism. There is a very real need to be realistic and conscious of the consequences of our actions. We need to act with courage and compassion . . . with cooperation rather than competition.
This Full Moon is showing us where our next step lies and what we need to release in order to move forward. It is illuminating the areas that need nurturing (Moon in Cancer) in order to bring structure to our goals in the year ahead (Sun in Capricorn). Finding balance is essential between nurturing yourself internally and growing externally. And remember, “Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world!” (Joel Arthur Barker)
REMINDER: New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
Full Moon at 19° of Cancer
Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:30 p.m. PDT
Monday, January 9, 2012 at 2:30 a.m. EST
Monday, January 9, 2012 at 7:30 a.m. GMT
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
Various online sources