In the Pacific Time Zone, the Moon will be full at 9:06 p.m. on Saturday, July 8. With this Full Moon, the Sun in Cancer will be in opposition (180°) to the Moon in Capricorn. To further clarify how this Full Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 18° of Cancer and 18° of Capricorn in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with those two houses are going to be most impacted by this Full Moon’s presence.
All Full Moons challenge us to find a balance between the qualities of the two signs involved, which in this case are Cancer and Capricorn. Normally, a Capricorn Full Moon would have us focusing on larger structures in our lives, such as our career and life path and/or our social structures and governmental agencies. And yes, those are still the focus, but this Full Moon is supercharged in various ways and may not act as a “normal” Capricorn Full Moon:
- The Moon is in a very tight (only 1°) conjunction (0°) with Pluto in Capricorn.
- The Sun is conjunct (0°) Mars in Cancer.
- These oppositions (180°) between the Moon/Pluto in Capricorn and the Sun/Mars in Cancer are both squaring (90°) Jupiter in Libra. This forms a t-square (right triangle), and this planetary configuration always indicates change is needed. This one includes five planets, which means it’s more powerful.
Analyzing all the different individual aspects in this configuration would be laborious. Luckily, it’s pretty easy to summarize: WOW! The conjunction between the Moon (emotions) and Pluto (use of power) means that we need to consciously choose to keep an eye on our feelings so they don’t let them get out of control and/or don’t used emotions as a weapon. This is further supported by the opposition (180°) between the Moon/Pluto and the Sun (identity, self-esteem) and Mars (action, assertiveness/aggressiveness). The bottom line is that we need to watch our words and actions carefully! Adding possible fuel to this fire is the square (90°) Jupiter, because the largest planet in our universe can spur us to overreact by blowing things out of proportion.
This is a lot of intense pressure that we will need to carefully and consciously navigate. If we slip into being unconscious and let it run rampant, it has the potential to be a destructive time. Emotions such as anger, fear, depression, and/or grief could feel like they have control over our inner worlds, and we may feel emotionally reactive. This is especially true if we are feeling insecure or vulnerable. It is also important not to overestimate our capabilities, get into power struggles, and/or resort to hurtful actions or words that could result in a lot of regrets.
The good news is that those who understand astrology know that we are never a victim of planetary energies. Knowing what the influences are during a given time period allows us to make conscious choices. For the days around the Full Moon (July 5-12), we definitely need to take responsibility for our own actions and emotions, recognize when we are getting triggered by external events, and avoid getting involved in (or creating) drama. The best way to respond to any situation is to remain as objective as possible and come from a place of unconditional love and understanding of Oneness.
If we can do this, great! But remember, those around us who are unaware of astrology will not have the advantage of this warning. Therefore, this may be a time when we witness various events getting out of control on an individual or societal basis. Our job is to use the knowledge we have to simply observe what is happening and keep our objectivity rather than allowing whatever happens to trigger us.
Actually, if we can choose to use the highest expression of these energies, this can actually be a very productive time. This would be an excellent time to move forward on a project that requires ample energy and energy that is that is practical and efficient. Whatever we focus on could be very successful and even lead to great achievements, but we do need to channel the energy carefully. During this time, it might be best to not focus on what others are doing. We need to keep our own noses on our own faces, so to speak. Do what you can right now that doesn’t involve others, and let everyone take care of their own needs. It might be helpful to spend some time alone, possibly in nature, contemplating what is truly important to you (Jupiter is about honoring our own truth and values). When we do need to deal with others, we need to do so with wisdom and patience because, as mentioned above, those around us may be reacting on an unconscious level to the volatile energies involved.
To help us make wise choices, there are several wonderfully positive aspects occurring at the time of the Capricorn Full Moon:
- Saturn (in retrograde) is trine (120°) Uranus. This can motivate us to find something new to enjoy or find new ways to enjoy what we are already doing. Because this free-flowing trine is occurring between slow-moving Saturn and fast-moving Uranus, any changes that we experience could either be deliberate and planned (Saturn) or sudden and unexpected (Uranus). Uranus makes that hard to predict! Another variation on this would be changes that we have been thinking about and planning for some time but we very suddenly decide that now is the time to act. Overall, this is a wonderful time to come up with ways to improve stability in our lives.
- Mars is trine (120°) Chiron. Again, trines are very positive, so this aspect means we may find new ways to take action (Mars) toward healing a wounded part of ourselves (Chiron). Because Chiron just went retrograde on Saturday, July 1 (see last Moon Update), this positive influence will help us do things like cleansing, purging, preparing, and letting go of attachments (e.g., things, people, situations). When Chiron is involved, it’s all about healing a wounded part of ourselves! Being in a positive aspect with Mars means that we may have increased self-confidence and/or feel ready to take on a new mission or purpose if it involves a “problem area” of our lives.
- Neptune is trine (120°) the Sun and sextile (60°) the Moon, which forms a minor planetary configuration called a wedge. Neptune’s involvement in this Full Moon reminds us that we live in a global community that needs to support the rights of all individuals. It may help to place our focus on what unites us and move away from what divides us. Although some may feel more emotionally vulnerable now, it’s more likely that this combination of planets will help compassionately soothe our emotions. It is also possible that we may experience some magical moments if we trust our intuition and follow our feelings. Other positive outlets for this energy could include self-improvement programs, charitable acts, and seeing the beauty in everyone and everything.
- Finally, a sweet sextile (60°) between Mercury and Venus can help us to have an open mind if we lead with our heart and remember to use charm and diplomacy in our social connections. Joint ventures could be positive right now because both parties are willing to clarify important points and only make promises that can be kept.
Another potent and potentially challenging time occurs around Monday, July 17, when Mars will square (90°) Uranus. Remember, squares often represent a turning point, and I often describe the energy of Uranus as “change or be changed.” You can go with the changes being presented to you, or you can fight them and then have to surrender when you see that “resistance is futile.” With Mars involved, it may be time to take a brave, courageous step in a new direction. For at least several days before and after this square (July 14-20), we should make decisions that capitalize on the higher expression of this aspect. For example, with Mars in it’s home sign of Aries (extra powerful!), we could benefit from being adventurous or taking a risk. Being physically active will help channel any excess energy, and it would be a great time to do something playful, as long as any activities avoid taking childish risks. We do need to avoid the lower expression of this pairing, which can be a cranky, irritable, and even volatile energy. Again, making “conscious choices” is the key. Overall, innovative actions are likely to be more productive than engaging in typical routines or tried-and-true solutions. So use this time to courageously move forward on your life path, which may include some unexpected events that lead to very positive changes.
The next day (Tuesday, July 18), Venus will trine (120°) Jupiter. Additionally, this is the day when the trine (120°) between Mars and Chiron will be exact (see discussion above). As we move to the waning (decreasing) influence of the Mars/Uranus square (90°) described above, hopefully the positive influence of these trines will help soften the energy swirling around us. We may actually begin to feel a sense of gratitude for the lessons learned by the Mars/Uranus square (90°). The trine (120°) between Venus and Jupiter means that our social connections will likely be positive, and we may feel an increasing sense of optimistic, generosity, and loyalty. And today may be the day that we feel ready to face a major issue related to our healing and/or to finally take a courageous action that may have felt too daunting in the past.
Overall, this Full Moon in Capricorn occurs in the early part of what is certain to be a powerful, electric, and intense month. We all need to use our knowledge of astrology to make conscious choices. The planets only indicate what energetic influences are present, and we can either choose to use the energies in a positive or negative way. This entire month may best be summarized as a choice between drama and love. Actually, that same lesson will apply in August when we experience a powerful pair of eclipses in Leo. So why not practice now to make wise choices that can lead to great achievements. If we don’t choose wisely, then there may be a price to pay at a later date . . . a price we probably don’t want to pay. Therefore, during this Capricorn Full Moon and for the entire month, move away from any “victim mentality” by remembering that, “You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices” (Unknown).
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable ebooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
Full Moon at 18° of Capricorn
- Saturday, July 8, 2017, 9:06 p.m. PDT
- Sunday, July 9, 2017, 12:06 a.m. EDT
- Sunday, July 9, 2017, 4:06 p.m. GMT