In the Pacific Time Zone, the Moon will be full at 2:38 p.m. on Tuesday, July 16. With this Full Moon, the Sun in Cancer will be in opposition (180°) to the Moon in Capricorn. To further clarify how this Full Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 25° of Cancer and 25° of Capricorn in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with those two houses are going to be most impacted by this Full Moon’s presence.
All Full Moons ask us to develop a better balance between the two signs involved. As with all signs in opposition, they appear to be very different from each other, which is true of Cancer and Capricorn. What Cancer is known for is its focus on the home, family, emotions, security, and our private/inner worlds. Capricorn, on the other hand, is interested in our vocation, structure, organization, and our public/outer worlds. However, signs in opposition are always intertwined and interdependent on each other. Cancer and Capricorn are not exceptions. Cancer provides us with a solid foundation at “home” (however we define that), and that home base will provide us with the energy to give to “the outer world” of Capricorn. Then, we take what we have learned in the public arena and go inward to process and assimilate new information, which makes us stronger. Both are equally important, and finding a healthy balance is key.
But this Capricorn Full Moon packs a powerful punch. It is occurring at the time of a Lunar Eclipse, which adds importance. However, the Moon is also conjunct (0°) the powerful grouping of Saturn, Pluto, and the South Node in Capricorn. And all of those are opposing (180°) the Sun, Venus, and the North Node in Cancer. That’s a lot of different types of energy influencing our lives right now!
Unfortunately, all the aspects involved in this complicated time are too numerous to analyze in depth given the multitude of responsibilities on my plate right now. Therefore, I will do my best to summarize some possible impacts from this incredibly potent time:
- There is a lot of Capricorn energy right now, which usually supports us in being very responsible and hardworking. However, the influence of the eclipse could have us questioning the very structure of our lives. For example, we might be thinking about a change in residence, a change in jobs, or a change in relationships status. For some, it’s time to start making the changes that we have been contemplated for some time. For others, this could be a very unexpected, resulting in feeling unsettled by this disruptive time because our foundation doesn’t feel solid anymore. Or for still others, this could be a time when the changes are “brewing” and clarity is coming. If any decisions are made during the time of the Full Moon, remember that they will need to be a balance between pragmatism (Capricorn) and our emotional needs (Cancer).
- Remember from our last Moon Update that eclipses can result in either quick changes that impact the next six months or slow, gradual changes that span the next six months. But change is inevitable. Sometimes those changes seem scary in the short run, but most of us are old enough to look back and see that almost every change in our lives has been for the better. Part of learning to live here on the Earth plane is accepting that change is going to happen and learning to trust the Divine Process of growth and evolvement.
- Unfortunately, Venus is in opposition (180°) to Saturn at the time of the Full Moon, which will likely mean that something that usually brings us pleasure might be in limited supply. This could include limitations involving our relationships and/or finances. However, given Venus is currently in Cancer, we will need to find ways to meet our needs for nourishment and security. It just may be that we can’t look outside of ourselves right now for this support; we may need to source this from within.
- Similar to last summer, there is a great deal of retrograde energy right now (i.e., Mercury, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Pluto, Chiron, the Nodes). This means that much of our attention is drawn inward and that many of the “re” words will be in the forefront of our lives (e.g., reviewing, revisiting, revamping, revaluing, restructuring).
- The involvement of Saturn retrograde in its home sign of Capricorn tells us that delays may be encountered. These are best viewed as opportunities to help us slow down, re-evaluate our situation, and make sure we are ready to build a strong, long-lasting structure. The delays can feel frustrating! It will help to remind ourselves to use any “down time” to finish any old issues and projects (Capricorn retrograde) in order to get us ready for the new things coming into our lives.
- The powerful involvement of the Nodes in this Full Moon tells us that something from the past needs to be let go of in order to make room for something new in the future. The old stuff will likely have to do with responsibilities and structure (South Node in Cap), and the new lessons to be learned likely have to do with home, security, and compassion (North Node in Cancer). With so much Cancer energy swirling around us, we need to avoid the lower expression of Cancer, which can include brooding, being overly sensitive, being fearful, and even withdrawal. As discussed in the last Moon Update, we need to be careful not to escape into the past (South Node). Instead, we need to use information and awareness from the past to inform us of what needs to change in order to move into a better future (North Node). This is a good time to look back to childhood to see where the seeds to our current challenges may have taken root.
- Pluto is very closely conjunct (0°) the Moon at this time, which means it is also in a close opposition (180°) to the Sun. Pluto is all about power, including whether we are being abused by it or using it to force others to our will. The opposition to the Sun could indicate that we are feeling frightened by this power in ourselves or in others, to the point of feeling that it might extinguish our light (Sun). At this time, it’s important to not become a victim that blames “them.” We need to step into our power, own our responsibilities, and let our loving energy (Cancer) shine bright (Sun), even if power struggles are happening to us or around us.
- In addition to being in an opposition to Saturn (see above), Venus is also in an opposition (180°) to Pluto. This further spotlights our relationships and finances, which can include power struggles in these areas. Pluto does tend to bring secrets out into the open, and we need to make sure Venus in Cancer doesn’t react by lashing out with her claws or, conversely, running scuttling away into what is perceived to be a safe place. Or both!
- The Moon is in an “out-of-sign” opposition (180°) to Mercury. Given the communication planet is in retrograde, we may feel like someone is not understanding our emotional needs (Moon). This is a good time to take a look in the mirror and think about whether the problem might be that we are not expressing our needs accurately, clearly, or powerfully enough (remember the Moon is closely conjunct Pluto which is all about the use of power). Although sometimes the case, it’s not always “their fault” (which can sometimes be Cancer’s defensive way to deal world when they are feeling unsafe).
- Mars in Leo is squaring (90°) Uranus in Taurus at the time of the Full Moon. This could mean that our actions and the actions of others (Mars) are unpredictable (Uranus). The lower expression of Mars in Leo is that we could come from a place of pride or ego. It will help if we do our best to use the current strong Capricorn energy to slow down, determine if we are acting or reacting, responsibly evaluate any actions we are contemplating, and then make choices about our behavior that are based in the unconditionally loving heart of Leo the lion.
- Adding a little magic to the mix, there is a wonderful trine (120°) between Venus and Neptune. This says it’s a good time to get involved in something creative, artistic, or romantic. Another trine (120°) between Mars and Jupiter provides us with an abundance of energy, courage, motivation, and even passion to tackle all of the changes.
On Friday, July 19, retrograde Mercury backtracks so far that it leaves Leo and re-enters Cancer. We may find ourselves returning to thoughts about family, security, and safety. We might even need to revisit some conversations that we thought were complete, especially with family. We could also be questioning if we feel supported by those we call “family” or whether we need to do something to create more of a “home” for ourselves independent of others. Mercury will go direct on July 31, but it will remain in Cancer until August 12. It may be best to wait until the time period between July 31-August 12 to have any important conversations with others. For now, we are best advised to focus on making sure we know what we want to say when those conversations do happen.
The Sun moves into Leo on Monday, July 22, for a month-long stay. Leo’s energy is self-confident, idealistic, playful, and loyal. It’s also known for its big, loving heart. But it does want to be seen as an individual who has something unique to share with the world. Working in a group may not be as appealing right now. We do need to remember that attention is great, but sometimes the Leo energy wants attention at all costs. Yes, it’s a great time to shine, but remember to come from a place of love and not a place of pride, self-centeredness, or drama (lower expression of Leo’s energy).
Overall, this Capricorn Full Moon and Lunar Eclipse could bring some changes . . . or the start of some changes, and these could involve some of the major structures in our lives. The time of the Full Moon is a good time to evaluate whether we have a good balance between our personal and professional worlds. Given the strong presence of Pluto, we also should determine if we are effectively using our power in the world. If we are afraid of power in others, we may avoid using our personal power. But power, used effectively, is what gets things done. It may be time to find our voice, and that may require that we begin to have faith in our ability to deal with whatever happens, which is a belief in our own power.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable eBooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
Full Moon at 25° of Capricorn
- Tuesday, July 16, 2:38 p.m. PDT
- Tuesday, July 16, 5:38 p.m. EDT
- Tuesday, July 16, 9:38 p.m. GMT