In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 2:51 p.m. on Tuesday, August 6. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 15° of Leo. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 15° of Leo in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
New Moons are always a time of new beginnings in the sign in which they occur. This time, the New Moon is in the sign of Leo. Leo is a fixed fire sign, which means that it is determined (and even stubborn) in its efforts to initiate new things. The sign of Leo brings attention to what we love and what we want to create. Each of us is a star in our own play. As we evolve, our essence and our unique Divine spark needs to shine brightly on the stage of our life.
The energy of a New Moon in Leo works best when our creativity and self-expression are not stifled in any way. This is a good time to give ourselves “free reign” to imagine our world as we’d like it to be. This encourages bold thinking, which is one of the hallmarks of Leo. The lower expression of Leo’s energy would be to puff ourselves up with self-importance, act arrogantly, or to dramatize our feelings. But Leo really does have the heart of a child. When this sweet energy is combined with an adult mind, then we have the capacity for creating amazing things. But to successfully do this, it is important to let go of any felt need for recognition and to not focus on any rewards that could be gained. The joy of creating and the freedom of self-expression are their own rewards now.
At the time of the New Moon, Uranus in Aries is trine (120°) the Sun and Moon. This powerful combination of reminds us that we can either (a) be the agents of desirable change or (b) we can be the recipients of unpleasant and unexpected transformation, particularly when it comes to areas of creativity and self-expression. A key phrase for Uranus is “change or be changed.” It takes courage and confidence to tap into this fiery energy, but the rewards will be worth the effort!
- A few days before the New Moon (Sunday, August 4), a brilliant Sun-Uranus trine (120°) occurs. We can use this energy to gain new insights into old limitations, which may clear the way for fresh forms of creativity, love, and play. Pleasant changes are likely, but we have to remain flexible in order to successfully navigate them. Now is a good time to think outside the box and look at new ways to approach old problems. Unusual or unconventional approaches may reap rewards. Regardless, the New Moon’s pairing with Uranus will bring fresh and lively energy into your life for several days.
- Jupiter, the planet of expansion, plays a very important role in this New Moon in Leo; and it continues to do so through the first half of 2014. On Wednesday, August 7, Jupiter makes the first of three exact oppositions (180°) to Pluto. It then forms the first of three exact squares (90°) to Uranus on Wednesday, August 21. This forms a cardinal T-square (right triangle) configuration with Uranus squaring both Pluto and Jupiter. Because of the slower moving nature of these planets, the effects of this configuration will be felt for weeks before and weeks after the exact aspects form. Therefore, this T-square is likely to influence us throughout August. It is very powerful! Jupiter in Cancer expands our understanding of how we relate to our feelings, family, and food. However, its opposition to Pluto in Capricorn exposes the beliefs and structures that need to be transformed or eliminated. It can also exaggerate the need to be right, and we may find that our beliefs or judgments can be extreme. A better use of this opposition is to shed light on the so-called “truth” and examine it to see if our beliefs may actually be hindering our movement forward on our evolutionary path. This examination can lead to positive transformations and increased tolerance for differences, both individually and collectively. And Jupiter’s square to Uranus in Aries catalyzes revolutionary approaches and heightens drives to autonomy, innovation, and reform. Due to Uranus undergoing 7 squares (90°) to Pluto between 2012 and 2015, the presence of jovial Jupiter in caring Cancer for the next few months may help provide some compassion to the forces of change inherent in these Uranus-Pluto squares.
- Also, around this same time, Jupiter in Cancer forms a water Grand Trine (equilateral triangle) with Saturn in Scorpio and Neptune in Pisces. This free flowing emotional and spiritual energy will increase our capacity for empathy, accountability, and altruism.
- On Thursday, August 8, Mercury leaves cautious Cancer and moves into Leo, where it will remain until August 24. This will give voice and intellectual form to emerging ideas. Our thinking becomes bolder, and our ideas are expressed with more fervor. We will find ourselves wanting to be focused on a goal . . . and the grander the goal the better! Although Mercury in Leo is prone to story-telling and speech-giving, we are also more convincing and persuasive at this time.
- On Sunday, August 11, a square (90°) between Mercury and Saturn demands accountability in our communication. We may need to set new boundaries or explore new ways to structure our communication so we are better understood. We may also find that our communication pathways are blocked or delayed, and we could get stuck in some negative thinking. Just be patient . . . the energy will shift in a few short days (see next bullet!).
- On Wednesday, August 14, a beautiful trine (120°) between Mercury and Uranus occurs. This will bring inspiration and insight that helps remove any emotional or intellectual limits. This is a good time for meetings or organized group activities. Communicating online or anything involving computers should go smoothly. Also, our intuitive abilities are heightened.
- On Thursday, August 15, a fleeting fire Grand Trine (equilateral triangle) is formed between the Moon, Uranus, and Mercury. It is important now to speak carefully because the presence of Uranus may cause our emotions (Moon) and words (Mercury) to come out spontaneously, if we aren’t careful. Given the fiery energy involved, we could come across as blunt or insensitive right now. But this wonderful flow of energy could see insightful conversations, changes in how we communicate our emotions, or even brilliant insights that “come out of the blue.” Our intuition may allow us to see new possibilities.
- On Friday, August 16, Venus moves into her home sign of Libra for a delightful month-long visit. Yes, Venus in Libra can cause people to feel a need to “put on a happy face” in order to “keep the peace.” However, covering our problems with a layer of “I’m fine, really, I’m fine!” messages isn’t the best use of this energy. Instead, use the charming energy of Venus in Libra to be willing to open your ears and meet others halfway. It can bring a sense of harmony that supports social activities, artistic endeavors, and partnerships of all kinds.
Overall, this New Moon in Leo is showing us that it is important to live from our essence rather than our ego. The happier we are, the better the world becomes. We need to shine our creative light upon the world. It may be a good time to ask yourself: What brings me joy? What breaks my heart? If I could change one thing in the world, what would that be? This New Moon, and the powerful aspects occurring around the time of the New Moon, are asking us to remember, “What is being asked here is for us to embody our own star consciousness. That is to say the star of your own being is rising. This is a unique and auspicious time to be seen in the world and to emerge as a conscious teacher of something that this life has taught you. You have wonderful things to share. Do not hold back.” (Christopher Stewart)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
- New Moon at 15° of Leo
- Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 2:51 p.m. PDT
- Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 5:51 p.m. EST
- Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 9:51 p.m. GMT
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources
- Anne’s interpretations