In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 3:14 a.m. on Wednesday, January 1. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 11° of Capricorn. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 11° of Capricorn in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
SPECIAL NOTE: As we would say in an email, tweet, or post . . . OMG! I’m not sure I’ll have enough superlatives to describe this powerful New Moon in Capricorn, but I will try to do it justice. Please know that if you are going through rough times right now, you are not alone! I hope this post will (a) explain why you might be experiencing some major challenges and (b) what you can do to successfully navigate this time period. Always remember that, “This, too, shall pass”!
All New Moons are times when we can have a new emotional start and reset our intentions and goals. But this New Moon in Capricorn is incredibly important for several reasons, including the fact that it is happening on Wednesday, January 1 . . . the day recognized as the beginning of a new year according to the Western or Gregorian calendar system. Having the New Moon fall on New Year’s Day only happens about every 28-29 years, and this greatly magnifies the potency of any resolutions you set for 2014. Be careful what you ask for now because you may just get it!
However, it’s not just the fact that the New Moon falls on New Year’s Day. This New Moon in Capricorn is part of the cardinal grand cross that we discussed in the last Moon Update. The grand cross magnifies the power of the New Moon and vice versa. It is a powerhouse! Before reading further, I would strongly recommend reviewing the information about the cardinal grand cross that was presented in my last Moon Update. (To find the section on the grand cross, scroll down to the paragraph beginning with “The second major astrological event . . .”.) This will help you understand what a grand cross is and why it is often so challenging.
The same 4 planets are still involved (i.e., Mars, Jupiter, Uranus, Pluto). However, now Pluto is joined by the Moon, the Sun, and Mercury, all of which are closely conjoining (0°) Pluto in Capricorn. This makes the already existing cardinal grand cross MUCH more powerful. The original grand cross contained 4 squares (90°) and 2 oppositions (180°). The present grand cross contains a total of 10 squares (90°) and 5 oppositions (180°). That means a lot of turning points (i.e., squares) and a greater than usual need for balance (i.e., oppositions). Although the energy will gradually diminish through Sunday, January 12, the impact will be felt very intensely by many around Wednesday, January 1. Its influence can show up in our lives in small or large ways; and it can affect us personally, within our families, within our societies, or even the world as a whole.
And all 7 of the planets involved in the grand cross are in what are called cardinal signs (i.e., Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn). Cardinal energy is intense. It is all about new beginnings, initiating activities, and passionate energy. The strength of the cardinal energy is motivation, it’s weakness is its haste. It is a restless energy that wants us to move forward toward something. It wants to release stagnation so we can grow and improve. With all this cardinal energy, we are being given a cosmic push from the Universe. Major breakthroughs are possible now, and this emphasis on cardinal signs will last throughout the month of January!
If you remember in last month’s Full Moon in Gemini, I explained that the Uranus energy in the cardinal grand cross means that we can either choose to “change or be changed.” With the addition to the grand cross of three more planets (all in responsible Capricorn), it’s now time to “move or be moved.” This energy is insisting that we move. If we move willingly, we can actually do this harmoniously. The trick is to engage with the cardinal energy rather than resist it. If we can cooperate with it, release stagnation, and actively make a choice to move our lives forward, then we can (and very likely will) go to the next level. As astrologer Kathy Rose says about the cardinal energy, “Don’t let it happen to you, let it move through you.” That’s the best way to use this cardinal energy.
Capricorn is the dominant sign right now, and its focus is on physical manifestation and accomplishment. It is all about discipline, responsibility, dedication, and maturity. So we want to use our resources for the highest good, not just personal gain. Due to the planets involved in this cardinal grand cross, we are being asked to think about big issues now: Where am I stagnant in my life? What is my life purpose and/or my destiny? What am I ready to leave behind? What do I want to manifest now? It’s very important now to take stock of our direction in life and ask ourselves where we need to improve.
Given the planets involved, other important questions will need to be addressed:
- Are you moving your body? Mars is asking us to take action, and that includes moving our bodies. It may be exercising, but it can also be taking physical action to start manifesting your goals. Sitting still during this time period will (a) lead to great frustration and (b) be a waste of very valuable energy!
- Are you on track with your finances and your career? With Venus in retrograde all during January, we are being asked to review our relationships, appearance, and what we value. However, given this is happening in Capricorn, special emphasis is being placed on revisiting our financial and career situations to make sure we are making responsible choices in these areas.
- Are you speaking your truth? With Mercury in Capricorn, we are being asked to be responsible for our spoken and written words. This includes the need to speak with authority, integrity, and confidence.
- Where are you experiencing breakdowns? With this New Moon in opposition (180°) to Jupiter and squaring (90°) both Mars and Uranus, many of us may be feeling unusually judgmental and resistant to rules and authority. The Sun’s square (90°) to Mars can make us feel impatient or even competitive, and we may push ourselves too far. All of this can lead to breakdowns that set the stage for discoveries that expose untapped assets and free us from outmoded ambitions and expectations. Standing still is not an option now. And with the presence of Pluto in the grand cross, we can trust that whatever is coming up is coming up to be healed so we can move toward our future success.
- What do you need to let go of in order to create space for something new? Even though we are setting goals for 2014, with Pluto in Capricorn tightly conjoining (0°) the Sun and Moon, we are being propelled toward eliminating or transforming any outgrown structures in our lives so we can heal. This may be simple things (e.g., cleaning out a closet) or more complex things (e.g., letting go of certain beliefs). Something(s) has outlived its evolutionary purpose in your life. If you are struggling to cut the final cords, then seek outside help from those who can give you tools, guidance, and support. With Pluto involved, this would be an excellent time to start or deepen work with a counselor, spiritual coach, etc.
- What do you need to face? Pluto and Mercury are very closely conjoined (0°) at this time. Mercury urges us to use our mental skills to connect the dots. And Pluto is all about bringing whatever is lurking in the shadows into the light so we can deal with the “real” issues. We may experience pivotal disclosures and revelations. It will be hard now to deceive ourselves individually or collectively.
On Tuesday, January 7, a socially skillful and gracious conjunction (0°) between Mercury and Venus in practical Capricorn will be excellent for using reason and gentle persuasion to iron out personal differences and calmly state our desires.
However, the very next day (Wednesday, January 8), a square (90°) between Mars and Jupiter may cause us to go too far, do too much, or allow anger to get out of hand. This will often occur when we are trying to find a balance between finding a way to please others (Mars in Libra) and our need to pursue our own plans, beliefs, and truth (Jupiter in Cancer). Rather than being adventurous, it may be helpful now to maintain old habits or go with familiar comforts. But when used effectively, this aspect can also energize us to reach out to people or make a public announcement about plans that are meant to satisfy our innermost aspirations.
Then, on Friday, January 10, a sweet sextile (60°) between Venus and Saturn will help bring reason and responsibility to finances and relationships. And later that same day, Venus will conjoin (0°) the Sun, which usually supports increased self-acceptance. Given this is all happening in Capricorn (see description of cardinal signs above), it may be difficult to sit too long on your laurels. But these little astrological gifts from the Universe will allow us to value ourselves and our accomplishments as a positive starting point to reaching for more.
And on that same day (Friday, January 10), Mercury leaves Capricorn and moves into the air sign Aquarius. The lower expression of Mercury in Aquarius is to be flighty, ungrounded, and entrenched or rigid in our beliefs. However, the higher expression is fantastic! You may find that you are hungry for knowledge and open to new and original ideas. Inventive thinking is at its peak now, and our communication and thought patterns can be spontaneous and liberal. We are open to new ideas and willing to think outside the box.
Astrology on the year 2014
The two major astrological events in 2014 are (1) the ongoing series of squares (90°) between Uranus and Pluto and (2) the two cardinal grand crosses.
- As we have been discussing, we are in middle of the series of seven squares (90°) between Uranus and Pluto, the impact of which began in 2012 and will continue for about another 17 months (through May 2015). The 4th and middle square occurred toward the end of 2013. The 5th and 6th squares out of seven will are often times when we are clarifying and/or implementing the changes that were identified during the first four squares. However, if any issues were ignored or denied, these additional squares become chances to face the truth. Overall, this is a time of evolutionary breakthroughs, on a personal and societal level. Significant reform is possible; however, if change is resisted, then revolution may be the result. The focus of the Uranus-Pluto squares is freedom versus control, and we may see sudden changes in power. This dance between revolutionary Uranus and transformational Pluto is wonderfully summed up in the quote by Jimi Hendrix: “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
- As explained above, the impact of the square (90°) between Uranus and Pluto is being significantly magnified during the current cardinal grand cross. This is starting the year off with a bang! However, the energy will only ease up a bit before another, even more powerful cardinal grand cross will form between April 7-May 14. Always remember that no astrological aspect or configuration is inherently harmful, and even the most problematic ones can be worked with to produce positive outcomes. However, grand crosses do signal a very challenging time period for most people. During both grand crosses, we will all have plenty of energy and chances to make changes. How we choose to use this energy is up to us. And luckily, the month of May will provide a “breather” for many of us, with a productive grand trine between Jupiter, Saturn, and Chiron (all in emotional water signs). We all will likely feel a greater sense of stability, balance, and cooperation, especially during the second half of the month. It will be a healing time!
Numerology on the year 2014
For those interested in numerology, I thought I’d mention that 2014 is a 7 Universal Year (i.e., 2014 = 2 + 0 + 1 + 4 = 7). Everyone on the planet is influenced by the energy of the Universal Year number, so it is a subtle, collective experience.
7 Universal Years are known for being focused on personal development and introspection that leads to changes in perspective. So although this year will start off with all this cardinal energy (see above), everyone will still need time during 2014 to “go within.” Rather than expanding our social circles, many will feel drawn to turn inward in order to expand our minds and explore spiritual realms. This may involve having contact with others, but we will need to take what we have learned externally and turn inward for discerning what is true for each of us.
7 Universal Years can also be a time when individually and on a societal level we will experience revelations. Anything that has been hidden from us or located in the shadows of our own subconscious minds will come to light. We will be questioning things at a deeper level to discern what is true and what is not. This could lead to an individual or mass awakening.
7 is the most spiritual of the numbers and is often referred to as “The Christ Consciousness Number.” It is a very important Universal Year for the areas of religion, spirituality, and metaphysics. The number 7 is considered to be the bridge between Heaven and Earth, and the doorway between the two worlds will be wide open this year. We can experience a deeper connection with God/Source/Spirit, including angels, guides, and deceased loved ones. Pay attention to your dreams, synchronicities, intuition, inner wisdom, and your connection to the Divine. This is also an excellent year to spend time in nature, practice meditation, learn yoga, or take classes in “all things metaphysical.”
Overall, the best way to use the 7 Universal Year’s energy is to focus on planning and balance. Take time regularly to be alone and to deepen your ability to trust yourself, because next year (2015) is an energetic 8 Universal Year when we will all likely be focused on progress, accomplishment, abundance, and prosperity.
This New Moon in Capricorn occurs on January 1 (New Years Day) and is part of the current cardinal grand cross. This means that our New Year’s resolutions will be tremendously enhanced. It’s a good time to set our goals for 2014 (and beyond) because we are all primed for major growth and progress. Be sure to use this powerful cardinal energy during January to begin to explore how to manifest those goals. The first 4 months of 2014 will involve a lot of challenging energy due to the presence of the cardinal grand cross at the beginning of the year and an even more powerful cardinal grand cross starting in April. But this energy is meant to motivate us to make the changes necessary to move forward on our evolutionary paths.
Overall, January is not going to be a month when we can sit back and observe what is going on around us. With all this cardinal energy, we must take action. Yes, many changes will happen this year . . . good changes! But change can be difficult if you fight against it or it takes you by surprise. Let go of whatever is not needed, and then focus on flowing and moving with this cardinal energy. As stated by Louise L. Hay, “Today I close the door on the past, open the door to the future, take a deep breath, step through and start a new chapter in my life.”
Starting on Monday, February 3, 2014, I will be teaching my 7-part course Beginning Astrology: Understanding Yourself & Others. Click on the link to learn more! (NOTE: This is an in-person course and not yet available for distance learning.)
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join Anne Reith’s Online Community so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (www.AnneReith.com)
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
New Moon at 11° of Capricorn
- Wednesday, January 1, 2014, 3:14 a.m. PST
- Wednesday, January 1, 2014, 7:14 a.m. EST
- Wednesday, January 1, 2014, 11:14 a.m. GMT