In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 5:35 p.m. on Sunday, December 21. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 1° of Capricorn. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 1° of Capricorn in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
The potential power of this New Moon in Capricorn is difficult to adequately describe. Several events occur simultaneously making this one of the most powerful times of 2014!
- All New Moons are times when we can have new starts and set new intentions in the areas related to the sign involved. This New Moon occurs in the sign of Capricorn, which represents responsibility, leadership, commitment, and discipline. And not only are the Sun and Moon in Capricorn, so, too, are Mercury, Venus, and Pluto. With so much Capricorn energy available, this is a good time to clean out anything that we no longer need. This can include closets, homes, or even our belief systems. Setting realistic goals will be an important focus now, as will be setting healthy boundaries. Discipline and a clear sense of direction can help make this a very productive time. The misuse of Capricorn energy can lead to the desire to dominate others, but we will reach our goals if we focus instead on using self-mastery, patience, and emotional control to do so.
- On the same day as the New Moon (Sunday, December 21), the Sun moves out of fun-loving Sagittarius and into the heavier energy of Capricorn. This marks the Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere and the Summer Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere. The Solstice is always recognized as a major time of change and new beginnings. So to have the New Moon occur on the same day as the Solstice is a big deal! The Sun in Capricorn is a time when we feel more ambitious and may have an increased desire for professional growth and advancement. New responsibilities could come into our lives during this month-long period. Capricorn energy is all about creating order and structure, and working toward long-term goals will feel particularly satisfying.
- During this New Moon, we are also in the midst of the sixth of seven squares (90°) between Uranus and Pluto, which will influence us for several more weeks. However, the day before the New Moon (Saturday, December 20), the planet Venus will conjunct (0°) Pluto and both planets will square (90°) Uranus. The planet of love can either soften the rebellious and transformational forces at work, or it could result in conflicts within our relationships or challenges in our finances. But this sixth Uranus-Pluto square will likely have many of us feeling a strong urge to move forward with something . . . with anything! . . . which could lead to taking risks. It’s worth carefully thinking through any urge to break free so you don’t have to pay the consequences later.
- And on Sunday, December 21, Uranus ends its annual 5-month retrograde period and begins moving direct again. Over the next few weeks, we may feel ready to begin making one or more major changes in our lives, which will likely involve creating a sense of greater freedom. We will feel comfortable breaking with convention, and some of us could even be seen by others as rebellious. Given that this change in direction is occurring while Uranus is squaring Pluto (see previous discussion), big breakthroughs are possible; however, big breakdowns may be needed first. We need to use whatever techniques we have developed to help ourselves feel centered and grounded now. And anytime Uranus’s energy is involved, it’s also important to remain flexible because we need to expect the unexpected. However, given the strong Capricorn energy at this time, it is best if we use our power and authority wisely to create order/structure and to gain control so we can get our lives on the track that we want to travel at this time in our lives.
- Finally, during the New Moon, the planet Saturn is located in the final degree of Scorpio (29°), which is often referred to as the “critical degree” of a sign. Our focus now should be on finishing up anything that hasn’t been addressed during the transit of that sign. Saturn has been in Scorpio for the last 2.5 years, and during this time, we have been asked to face our fears, heal old wounds, let go of whatever has disempowered us, and achieve greater emotional strength. During this final degree of Scorpio, there’s intense emotional energy, almost like a laser beam, and it is a good idea to make a conscious decision about where you want to focus this energy to support you in moving forward.
As you can see, this is not your ordinary New Moon in Capricorn. It is important to remember that astrology doesn’t prescribe events or experiences. Astrology simply shows us possibilities. It’s up to each of us to choose to take advantage of the energies made available now and to also use our self-control and wisdom to avoid any potential pitfalls.
We will be feeling the impact of this confluence of astrological events for either a few days (e.g., New Moon, “critical degree” of Saturn’s transit of Scorpio) or a few weeks (e.g., lots of Capricorn energy, the ongoing Uranus-Pluto square, Uranus moving direct). Luckily, the days after the New Moon and the Solstice are relatively peaceful when it comes to planetary movement and astrological aspects:
- After transiting through the final “critical degree” of Scorpio (see previous discussion), Saturn will move into the sign of Sagittarius on Tuesday, December 23. It will remain in Sag until June 2015, at which time it will move back for one final visit of Scorpio. But for the next six months, we will all get a taste of Saturn in Sagittarius. During Saturn’s transit through Sag, we will find ourselves focusing on living our lives in accordance with our own truth, which may require that we clarify and/or redefine our ethics, beliefs, hopes, and dreams. Although Sag energy can be philosophical, Saturn will profoundly influence this tendency. With Saturn in Sagittarius, we will be asked to “walk our talk” by bringing our visions into reality and taking practical actions toward attaining our ideals. This will be true both individually and collectively.
- On the day that Christians celebrate Christmas Eve (Wednesday, December 24), Mercury will replace Venus as the planet that will conjunct (0°) Pluto and both planets will square (90°) Uranus. This could mean that our minds feel very unsettled or scattered and conversations have the potential to be explosive, especially if someone resists convention or expresses radical ideas. We are all being given an opportunity to transform how we think and communicate, which is normally a good thing. The only downfall is that Christmas “traditions” are honored in most families and change can be resisted strongly. Today, the use of patience will be a virtue, as will thinking twice before speaking out in anger. Everyone might even benefit from trying something new.
- Friday, December 26, sees a sweet sextile (60°) between the Sun and Neptune. This brings compassion, which will provide a healing salve on any recent relationship wounds. We may also feel like we are in the right place at the right time because our intuition will be heightened. Pay particular attention to any “hunches” or synchronicities that occur now. It’s also a good time to be involved in a charity or start a self-improvement program.
Overall, this New Moon is packed with astrological events that make it a time of ending old cycles and beginning new ones. The presence of so much Capricorn energy means that those changes need to be made in responsible, mature ways. Any stagnant energy needs to be moved out so our energy is free to move forward. Make a conscious decision to take actions that support all these new beginnings, this new transformation, and these new cycles. And remember, “If you don’t make the time to work on creating the life you want, you’re eventually going to be forced to spend a LOT of time dealing with a life you don’t want” (Kevin Ngo).
STAY TUNED! The next Moon Update will include information about what’s ahead for us in 2015! It should be available on or around New Year’s Day.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join Anne Reith’s Online Community so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
New Moon at 1° of Capricorn
- Sunday, December 21, 2014, 5:35 p.m. PST
- Sunday, December 21, 2014, 8:35 p.m. EST
- Sunday, December 22, 2014, 1:35 a.m. GMT