This month’s New Moon finds both the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 8° of Leo. To further clarify how this New Moon in Leo will impact you on a personal level, locate 8° of Leo in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be the most affected by this New Moon’s presence.
Leo’s energy is all about self-expression and creativity. It opens our hearts to love and to play . . . both of which we tend to want to do with greater enthusiasm when the Sun is in Leo. It is a time to go out into the sunlight (literally and symbolically). It’s time to shine! However, for those who are insecure, this can be a challenging time. They may want to hide from that spotlight or they may express themselves in immature ways due to their level of discomfort. But for those who feel secure in who they are and in what they have to give to the world, the Leo energy will enable you to bring your gifts (i.e., your creative endeavors) to the awareness of others. It is important to remember, though, that Leo’s greatest gift is giving in ways that recognizes the light in everyone.
New Moons in Leo often mark the beginning of a new level of creativity. This creativity may come in more traditional forms, such as art, writing, music, dance, or even the creation of offspring. However, we all need to remember that we all are creators. We create our days, our weeks, our months, and our lives. We are each the artists and architect of our world. With the Sun in Leo right now, it’s imperative that we explore how we can best share our gifts with the world. During this New Moon, ask yourself, “What am I being guided to create?”
This New Moon has a very special flavor to it. Leo is always focused on loving others (and loving ourselves), but the Moon and Sun are joined by loving Venus. Venus is about drawing to you what you love or value. It is also about love, love, love! Because God/Source/Spirit is all about love, this New Moon in Leo and the presence of Venus will bring light to the darkest places. Many of us will have a strong impulse to love, play, create, and dance in the joy of being alive. We are being urged to express what is in our hearts and souls. The presence of Venus can help all of us to tap into the joy of childlike wonder, to appreciate life as a series of miraculous events, and to celebrate ourselves as wondrous creations.
And all three (i.e., Sun, Moon, Venus) form a wonderful trine (120°) with Uranus. This easy flow of energy will call forth our genius and enable us to view our creativity in new ways. The presence of Uranus means that we may have sudden insights that come out of the blue. This wonderful connection of energy can instill in all of us a greater hope for the future, and we may be interested in unusual people or unfamiliar activities due to the innovative presence of Uranus.
At the time of this New Moon in Leo, several planets are changing signs and/or changing directions. And supportive aspects will enhance the impact of these changes. It’s definitely an interesting time!
- On Thursday, July 28, Venus moves into Leo. Venus represents love and what we value in life. In Leo, it’s a time for socializing and having fun. Indulge here and there. Do what you can to enjoy life, including getting some pampering if that’s what brings a smile to your face.
- On that same day (July 28), Mercury moves into its home sign of Virgo, which can provide a few days of clear thinking. However, enjoy this impact while you can because it will be short-lived. (See next bullet)
- On Tuesday, August 2, Mercury begins its second retrograde period of 2011, which lasts through Friday, August 26. Although Mercury moved into Virgo on July 28, it now moves back into Leo. As with any Mercury retrograde period, this is a good time to be very careful about details, including double and triple checking things like contracts and travel plans. Mercury retrograde is also a good time to take action involving any “re” words: review, revise, restore, revive, etc. However, when Mercury is in Leo, we need to be careful because our perceptions can be distorted by personal values or needs. You may be overly confident about ideas, and these ideas may not pass the mustard when placed into the light of reality. Additionally, during this retrograde period, Mercury will form three exact oppositions (180°) with Neptune. Although we may not want to share our creative endeavors with the world until Mercury goes direct, this may be a time when we can more easily access our imaginations and creative muses. Any alignment with Neptune urges us to trust our inner guidance. We don’t have to figure out the “how.” Our job is to focus on what we want and then let “the fairies of the Universe” provide us with what we need to accomplish our desires. Luckily, the presence of Mercury can help us see the flaws in our Neptunian fantasies, which may give our grand schemes a chance to actually be realized.
- On Wednesday, August 3, Mars moves into Cancer, which often softens the fiery energy of Mars and definitely puts a damper on taking risks, acting impulsively, and/or having a short emotional fuse. Unfortunately, passive-aggressive behavior may be more common if we don’t express our negative feelings in a healthy way. We may also feel more hesitant to move forward with our plans for the next few weeks because we are overly sensitive to the feelings and reactions of others. Be careful not to hurt others, but don’t compromise your goals due to being overly cautious.
- Then on Thursday, August 4, Neptune backs out of Pisces and moves back for one last visit in Aquarius. It will remain in Aquarius until February 3, 2012, when Neptune will move into Pisces for a good long stay (i.e., many years!). This last foray into Aquarian energy will urge us to make any final adjustments to the balance between our intellect and issues of spirituality, faith, and imagination. And we may be better able to articulate our dreams and spiritual aspirations, as well as join up with others to support idealistic causes.
With this New Moon in Leo, it is a time when we are being called to find new and creative ways to blend our heart (Moon) with our soul (Sun). We are each being asked to explore new ways to make creative changes in our lives. Creativity often requires moving into the unknown, so it can be a little scary for some of us. But creativity is best explored with the attitude of play and experimentation. Search for ways to do more of what you love! And it may help to remember the Sufi saying, “Each day is a gift from God; what you do with that day is your gift to God.”
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
NEW MOON IN LEO
- New Moon at 8° of Leo
- Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 11:40 a.m. PDT
- Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 2:40 p.m. EST
- Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 6:40 p.m. GMT
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources
- Anne’s interpretations