This month’s New Moon finds both the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at exactly 4° of Libra. To further clarify how this New Moon in Libra will impact you on a personal level, locate 4° of Libra in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be the most affected by this New Moon’s presence.
Several factors make this New Moon particularly powerful. First, at the time of this New Moon, the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, and Saturn are all located in the sign of Libra. Having so many planets in the same sign intensifies the impact of this New Moon and the sign in which it falls. Libra is all about love, peace, partnership, and balance. The symbol for Libra is the scales, which represents Libra’s quest for equality, truth, and justice. We are being invited to look at issues of fairness, cooperation, and reconciliation in our relationships. We are also being asked to look at what is out of balance in our lives, where we need to wield “the sword of truth,” and how justice can best be served.
Second, the New Moon occurs only a few days after the equinox (September 23), a time when the length of the day equals the length of the night. Also, this is the fourth of six SuperMoons this year. A SuperMoon occurs when the Moon is perigee (its closest approach to the Earth) and syzygy (either New or Full Moon). Both of these latter factors generate significant shifts in the Earth’s magnetosphere, which is the magnetic bubble of energy that surrounds our planet This can impact gravitational pulls on the Earth’s tectonic plates and tides, as well as our own energy fields and levels of consciousness.
Finally, there are several astrological aspects and events occurring at this time that add power and importance to this New Moon in Libra:
- Most importantly, for the few days before and after the New Moon, a Cardinal T-Square is created by the Sun, Moon, and Mercury in Libra, which is in opposition (180°) to Uranus and squaring (90°) Neptune. Uranus in Aries impels us to be inventive. Pluto in Capricorn supports what is ethical and sustainable. This creates the pressure to “think differently.” Cardinal signs (e.g., Aries, Libra, Capricorn) urge us to act. They begin each of the seasons and symbolize the start of a new phase.
- And whenever any celestial body (let alone 3 of them – Sun, Moon, Mercury) aligns with the ongoing Uranus-Pluto square (90°), the cosmic imperative for evolution intensifies.
- As part of this T-Square, having the Sun in opposition (180°) to Uranus may have us feeling more rebellious than usual. However, this rebelliousness can be used constructively if we allow our minds to think outside the box. Great inventions and innovations are possible, even though they may alter our previous plans.
- Similarly, having Mercury in opposition (180°) to Uranus can provoke original ideas, although we may need to use patience and restraint in order to avoid frustration and conflict.
- The presence of Pluto in this T-Square means that whatever is coming up to be healed will come from deep within us. This may involve becoming aware of shadowy places within our psyches that harbor fear and mistrust. But it’s all coming up to be healed!
- Luckily, the conjunction formed between the Sun, Moon, and Mercury will help us combine our ego, hearts, and intellect to power through any darkness and give voice to what needs to be expressed.
- Additionally, Mars in Leo forms sextiles (60°) to the Sun, Moon, and Mercury, which will provide us with the energy, courage, and confidence that we need in order to channel our energy in creative ways and clear away any mental clutter.
- Finally, there is a free flowing trine (120°) between Mars and Uranus. This will provide us with the added ability to be innovative. And this wonderful energy will help those who are ready to break with old methods and invent new ones.
Overall, this New Moon in Libra is asking us to partner with like-minded others for a new beginning by instilling in all of us the need for fairness, cooperation, and justice. Whenever Uranus is prominent, there is the imperative to “change or be changed.” Therefore, the T-Square being formed at the time of this New Moon (which involves Uranus) may awaken an urgent need for change. And if we don’t choose change, we may encounter situations or people who are catalysts for that change. We are being given the opportunity to reshape our perceptions, but it may require facing our fears, letting go of our familiar “truths,” and beginning to see things with fresh eyes. As Marianne Williamson has said, “Humanity’s next great leap in consciousness will be the realization that love is a power to be applied – no less than the power of steam, the power of electricity, or the power of the atom.”
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
NEW MOON IN LIBRA
- New Moon at 4° 0’of Libra
- Tuesday, September 27, 2011 at 4:10 a.m. PDT
- Tuesday, September 27, 2011 at 7:10 p.m. EST
- Tuesday, September 27, 2011 at 11:10 a.m. GMT
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources
- Anne’s interpretations