In the Pacific Time Zone, the New Moon will occur at 5:54 p.m. on Tuesday, March 8. This New Moon finds the Moon and Sun in conjunction (0°) at 19° of Pisces. To further clarify how this New Moon will impact you on a personal level, locate 19° of Pisces in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with that house are going to be most influenced by this New Moon’s presence.
For several reasons, this New Moon in Pisces could provide us with one of the most important and most spiritual times of 2016. But it also has the potential to be an “emotional whopper”! Why?
- This New Moon is the first of four eclipses occurring during 2016 (the next will occur on March 23). This is a total solar eclipse. Although only visible in Western areas of the Pacific, it will influence the entire planet. Solar Eclipses occur when the Moon blocks the flow of the Sun’s electromagnetic energy that flows to the Earth’s surface. Eclipses provide us with times when our unconscious can reboot or be reconfigured, and their impact typically influences the following 6-month period. The time of an eclipse often correlates with major endings and beginnings in our lives. In order to identify the areas of your life that may be most impacted by this Solar Eclipse, you can look at where 19° of Pisces is located (if you have your natal or birth chart). Eclipses also occur in 19-year cycles, so you might want to think back to March 8, 1997, when the last Solar Eclipse occurred at 19° of Pisces. Or you can look back six months ago to see what was happening on September 12, 2015, when there was a Solar Eclipse in opposition to this one. All of these can provide clues for understanding what may need to change in your life now.
- This Pisces New Moon is also the first of three SuperMoons in a row. SuperMoons occur when the Moon makes its closest possible approach to the Earth. When they occur, it creates a powerful pull on our psyches to make necessary changes. They also exert gravitational pulls that increase the tides and often correlate with movement of tectonic plates. In other words, change often happens during SuperMoons.
- Due to the combined presence of a Solar Eclipse and SuperMoon, the Piscean energy associated with this New Moon would normally be amplified. However, in addition to the Sun and Moon, we also have Mercury, Neptune, Chiron, and the South Node located in the sign of the fish (i.e., the word Pisces is the Latin plural of fish). New Moons always provide us with new energy and new opportunities to create within the areas of life associated with the sign involved. With so much energy in Pisces, the influence of this sign is undeniable. Keywords for Pisces include compassion, emotions, intuition, healing, spirituality, sensitivity, gentleness, selflessness, and creativity. However, the shadow side of Pisces can also be activated during the time of a New Moon, which includes being lost in a fog, secretive, dependent, passive, and a martyr. Pisces is a mutable sign, and there will be a powerful mutable influence during the entire month of March. Mutable energy is adaptable, easy going, lighthearted, spontaneous, and flexible. Although mutable energy can make focusing and making decisions difficult, the lesson this month is to “go with the flow” and surrender our need to be in total control. This is a month-long opportunity to increase our ability to move into faith and trust, learn to relax, and focus in the “now.”
- And believe it or not, there’s even more to this New Moon in Pisces. The South Node and the asteroid Chiron are both conjoining (0°) the Sun and Moon, and all of these are in opposition (180°) to Jupiter and the North Node. And all of these are squaring (90°) Saturn. This forms a mutable t-square (or right triangle) in the sky, which intensifies the mutable energy described above. To break down all of the individual aspects involved in this t-square is beyond the scope of this Moon Update. In sum, we may be feeling the impact of unrealized dreams during this New Moon, or we may realize that we have been trying to do everything, which has been diluting our focus and keeping us from accomplishing what we truly desire. Although challenging with all this Piscean energy flowing around us, we need to distinguish between reality and illusion. A sweet sextile (60°) to Pluto tells us that the truth can be discovered by going deep within our psyches with the goal of discovering our true passion. And luckily, Jupiter’s influence will broaden our perspective and open our minds to new possibilities. However, the presence of Chiron is calling us to heal, and the South Node closely conjoining the New Moon and Chiron tells us that healing may require that we let go of something from our past while appreciating what remains. And the pervasive energy of Pisces tells us that the healing will come through compassion, forgiveness, unconditional love, and actions that move us toward becoming whole. As suggested in Gestalt Therapy, healing often occurs through reclaiming parts of ourselves that have been left in the shadows, suppressed, or denied. Once we can accept all parts of who we are, warts and all, then true and deep healing can occur. The answers may come to us through Piscean avenues such as slowing down, using our intuition or imagination, engaging in creative activities, meditating, listening to music, receiving messages through our dreams, being in nature . . . anything that increases our spiritual connection and our sense of inner peace. (NOTE: Big shifts can also occur when a planet crosses the degree of a recent eclipse. This will occur on Tuesday, March 15, and Sunday, March 27, when Mercury and Venus cross 19° of Pisces, respectively.)
The two weeks following this Pisces New Moon and Solar Eclipse are filled with astrological aspects:
- On Thursday, March 10, the Sun exactly conjoins (0°) Chiron. This can shed light on our sense of purpose or “mission. It can bring an increased sense of self-confidence. However, Chiron’s influence may also lead us to get in touch with our insecurities, which is essential to our forward movement. Overall, we can do some excellent problem solving today under this influence, because we are eager to learn and grow.
- The next day (Friday, March 11), the Sun forms an exact conjoins (0°) with the South Node. The South Node represents our “comfort zone,” which is easy to escape into. Although it is a nice place to visit in order to recharge our batteries, to dwell there will hamper our progress. The Sun will give us the extra light we need to examine where we may be giving up too easily, escaping from “reality,” and/or avoiding important life lessons.
- A quick moving but wonderful grand trine (or equilateral triangle) on Saturday, March 12, between the Moon, Jupiter, and Pluto (all are located in earth signs) will provide us with a short-lived but powerful shot of positive energy. The areas of life that might be most impacted by this astrological configuration are relationships and finance.
- On Monday, March 14, relationships could become a bit sticky. A square (90°) between Mercury and Saturn could cause words to be spoken and taken very seriously. And it is important that we take our communication seriously today due to a square (90°) between Venus and Mars. Problems within our relationships need to be addressed in a responsible and serious manner. Teasing or “joking around” will likely be taken the wrong way.
- The next day (Tuesday, March 15), could see us worrying about something that happened recently. This is due to an opposition (180°) between Mercury and retrograde Jupiter. We may be concerned that we have over-shared, or we may be over-thinking something in our lives. This is a good time to gather more information, focus on what is “right” for us based on our personal morals and values, and trust our inner sense of knowingness.
- Wednesday, March 16, sees the Moon, Jupiter, and Pluto forming another very positive grand trine (or equilateral triangle). This very positive flow of energy in earth signs can provide the grounding we need to move toward lasting change. We may feel ready to take control of our lives and make decisions that align us with our inner goals and passions. However, because Jupiter is in retrograde, we may just be thinking about these changes and won’t ready to take action until around June 26, 2016, when the same trine forms but with Jupiter moving direct.
- On Thursday, March 17, Mercury conjoins (0°) both Chiron and the South Node. Our thoughts and communication are keys to healing now. Due to the South Node being involved, it would be beneficial to look back into our past to identify and then release any unconscious mental patterns that have us stuck in negativity.
One planet changes signs during the next two weeks. On Saturday, March 12, Venus leaves Aquarius and enters gentle Pisces, where it will remain until April 6. During this 3-week period, we will feel our hearts filled with unconditional love, which should be directed toward not just others but also toward ourselves. We will likely be more easily moved by signs of suffering and could feel a desire to do something to help; or within our relationships, we may feel “the urge to merge.” Both of these should be done carefully. Due to the strong Piscean influence, this type of giving of ourselves can go too far. We all need to remember to maintain our individual identity and not lose ourselves in another person or in a cause to the point of self- sacrifice or martyrdom, which is the shadow side of Pisces.
And finally, on Saturday, March 19, we start a new astrological year when the Sun moves into the sign of Aries. After all the watery energy of Pisces, the Sun in Aries is ready to shine its light and burn off any remaining fog, which will allow us to more clearly see the new terrain that has been developing in the last few weeks. We may feel ready to take action and more willing to take risks, especially with Mars (the ruler of Aries) in adventurous Sagittarius. And on the same day as this movement of the Sun into Aries, we are gifted with yet another quick-moving grand trine (or equilateral triangle) between the Moon, Uranus, and Saturn. This will bring an exciting, fiery energy that provides a powerful blend of creativity, spontaneity, and stability. Taking positive steps toward manifesting our dreams is one possible outcome of this surge of supportive energy.
Overall, this New Moon in Pisces in a super-charged opportunity for spiritual growth and deep healing, and it may be one of the most significant time periods of 2016. With a series of supportive grand trines occurring during the next two weeks, we are being given amazing support to do the inner work that will lead us toward our next step in our soul’s journey. However, as is often the case, when we change and/or heal, it’s like ripples in a pond; there will be changes needed outside of us in order to support the changes occurring within us. And it’s important to remember that once we become aware of what we want, our awareness of what we don’t want becomes very acute. This is a natural part of the change process, but it isn’t easy. Given the strong influence of the South Node, this phase of our healing will likely involve letting go of something from our past so we can fully embrace our future. So it is wise to remember the words of Louise Hay: “If you don’t make peace with your past, it will keep showing up in your present.”
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RECEIVE NEW & FULL MOON REPORTS?
If you are not already on our email list, please be sure to join Anne Reith’s Online Community so you are guaranteed to receive her New & Full Moon Reports.
THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY
- Anne Reith, Ph.D. (AnneReith.com)
- For information about Dr. Reith’s downloadable ebooks and meditations, feel free to visit her online Store
SOME INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
- The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
- Various online sources (e.g., www.cafeastrology.com)
- New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
New Moon at 19° of Pisces
- Tuesday, March 8, 5:54 p.m. PST
- Tuesday, March 8, 8:54 p.m. EST
- Wednesday, March 9, 1:54 a.m. GMT