This Full Moon on Monday, June 4 finds the Sun in Gemini in opposition (180°) to the Moon in Sagittarius. To further clarify how this Full Moon in Sagittarius will impact you on a personal level, locate 15° of Gemini and 15° of Sagittarius in your birth/natal chart. The issues associated with those two houses are going to be most affected by this Full Moon’s presence.
All Full Moons require us to balance and integrate opposing energies of two signs. This time the balance needs to be attained between Gemini and Sagittarius. Gemini is about communication and learning. Sagittarius is about knowledge and expansion. Both signs also involve gathering information; however, with Gemini, we focus on gathering concrete, factual information, and with Sagittarius, the emphasis is on information that explores and expands our values and beliefs. Balance between these two can be achieved only when we recognize that gathering information is important, but we need to sift through that concrete, factual information (Gemini) to find what addresses our needs for ethics, morals, and spiritual understanding (Sagittarius).
But this Full Moon isn’t quite that simple. Several factors make it more powerful and more complicated than most Full Moons. Sorting out all of the energy swirling around us during this time may be challenging, but our best approach to all this energy is to, as my deceased grandmother used to say, “Sit light in the saddle.” In other words, let the preponderance of Gemini energy help you to be adaptable and to see the humor in everything.
First, this Full Moon is also a Lunar Eclipse, which makes it a very powerful Full Moon indeed! Lunar Eclipses are times when the Sun, Moon, and Earth are precisely lined up. With Lunar Eclipses, we experience the energy of the Moon directly because the energy from the Sun is blocked by the Earth. This can cause shifts in the electromagnetic fields around the Earth. It can also destabilize existing social matrices and even reconfigure our personal consciousnesses.
Second, around the time of this Full Moon Lunar Eclipse, several very significant astrological events occur.
- Just hours before the peak of the Full Moon Lunar Eclipse on Monday, June 4, Neptune begins its annual 5-month retrograde passage, which will continue until November 10. As with all outer planets, the experience of this backward shift of Neptune’s energy is subtle. It is a time to focus less on logic and more on intuition. It represents the value of turning inward for inspiration instead of seeking it from outside sources. There is a tremendous amount of creative potential available, and it is a time when you can achieve your dreams if you rise above your ego and focus your activities outward instead of inward because Neptune retrograde dissolves the illusion of separation and attunes us to our inherent interconnectedness.
- During this Full Moon Lunar Eclipse on Monday, June 4, Mars in Virgo is squaring (90°) both the Sun and the Moon, forming a T-Square configuration. During the days before, during, and after the Full Moon, Mars’ presence can result in arguments over petty details if we become entrenched in valued plans or cherished beliefs. The positive expression of this energy is to use the power and energy of Mars to sort through all the information being received at this time and find your “truth.” Above all, avoid getting into debates over principles. Instead, gather more information and recognize that there is more than one way to reach any goal.
- During the Full Moon, Venus is conjunct (0°) the Sun. However, on Tuesday, June 5, this conjunction is exact and results in a rare transit of Venus across the face of the Sun. Venus transits, like this one, occur in pairs; this month’s transit is the second in a pair, with the first occurring on June 8, 2004. The last time Venus transited across the face of the Sun was in 1874 and 1882; the next time will be in 2117 and 2125. Given this is happening the day after the Full Moon Lunar Eclipse, it makes this passage even more important than usual. The Sun represents ego, identity, will, purpose, and the rational path. When Venus, the planet of love and feminine energy, intercepts the Sun, then love and the path of the heart can take precedence over the strong will of the head. It can awaken unacknowledged and undeveloped potential and leave behind new insights and awareness. On a larger scale, it symbolizes a collective readiness for the reemergence of the Divine Feminine. On a smaller scale, it symbolizes a very powerful time when we can draw to us (Venus) what our soul (Sun) desires.
- On Thursday, June 7, Mercury moves out of open-minded, flexible Gemini and into conservative and watery Cancer. Emotional attachment to traditional ideas is common during this time, especially when so much change is occurring around us and being demanded of us. During the next three weeks, we all will need to monitor our desire to hold onto familiar concepts that may keep us from making the necessary changes that will lead us toward our future.
- Luckily, on Monday, June 11, Jupiter moves into Gemini where it will remain for about one year. This will soften the impact of Mercury’s move into Cancer (see above) by bringing increased intellectual flexibility. However, this flexibility will make it difficult for anyone to adhere to one single point-of-view. Jupiter in Gemini is likely to open the intellectual floodgates. This is a time when we may find that every answer produces more questions and that what we were certain of yesterday doesn’t seem as certain today. It is a time when students need to be cautious of working with teachers who claim to have “the answer.” There are no simple answers now . . . and the “best” teachers will be those who are comfortable with diversity and ambiguity . . . and those who allow their students to find their own answers rather than requiring them to adhere to something simply because a teacher says it’s “the truth.” The passage of Jupiter through Sagittarius is a time when we are all being encouraged to keep our minds open to a wider range of truths.
- But there is hope for a little less stimulation down the road. On Wednesday, June 13, there is a harmonious trine (120°) between the Sun and Saturn. This favorable alignment between the planets of will (Sun) and responsibility (Saturn) will provide perspective and reason that will balance the high intensity of mental energy occurring during these last few weeks. It will illuminate (Sun) where we can responsibly apply (Saturn) the intuitive insights gained from Neptune’s retrograde turn and Venus’s passage across the Sun.
Overall, this Full Moon Lunar Eclipse heralds a time when we are being asked to be open to diverse ideas/paths and to deepen our understanding of the Divine Feminine. Women are being asked to reclaim their power. Men are being asked to reclaim their feminine sides. But as with all Full Moons, the goal is balance and integration . . . between the masculine and the feminine, between the head and the heart, between logic and intuition. We are being asked to communicate, collaborate, and envision the future that we wish to live. Remember, “Your life flows out from your imagination. Whatever you work to become, you have first chosen to imagine.” (Ralph Marston)
REMINDER: New Moons and Full Moons often influence us for the 3 days before and 3 days after the actual event.
Full Moon at 15° of Sagittarius
Monday, June 4, 2012 at 4:13 p.m. PDT
Monday, June 4, 2012 at 7:13 p.m. EST
Monday, June 4, 2012 at 11:13 a.m. GMT
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM
The Mountain Astrologer (magazine)
Various online sources